As you draw closer to the date of your Las Vegas wedding, you’ll need to acquire a Clark County Marriage License to be wed. Fortunately, Las Vegas offers one of the easiest processes for obtaining a marriage license. Discover what you need to bring, where you need to go, and who needs to be present for you to receive your Las Vegas marriage license.
What are the requirements to obtain a marriage license?
- The bride and the groom must appear before a Clerk at a Clark County Marriage Bureau location.
- The bride must be a biological female, and the groom must be a biological male. Currently, Nevada does not acknowledge same-sex legal marriages.
- Both bride and groom must be at least 18 years old. If you are not 18 years of age, please consult the Las Vegas Marriage Bureau website for direction.
- You cannot be currently married to any other living person.
- You must provide identification documents to prove your name and age.
Where and when do I go to obtain a marriage license?
The Las Vegas Downtown Marriage Bureau is located in the Regional Justice Center at 201 Clark Ave. Las Vegas, Nevada 89155-1603. This office is open from 8:00 a.m. to midnight every day, including holidays.
Who needs to be present?
The bride and the groom must be present at the Las Vegas Marriage Bureau at the same time.
What do I need to bring with me to the Marriage Bureau?
Is there a waiting period?
- Bring an identification card, such as your driver’s license or passport.
- Bring $60 for the marriage license fee, payable by cash, cashier’s check, money order, credit card, or debit card. An additional $5.00 processing fee will be added to all card payments.
- If you have been married before, please know the date of your divorce decree or the date of your spouse’s death.
- Your marriage license will reflect your current name. Bring an identification document that reflects your name, as you would like it to be registered for your marriage license.
- While you do not need your social security card, you do need to know your social security number.
- Know the correct spellings of your parents’ names and the locations of their births, to the best of your ability. If you don’t know these, simply select “UNKNOWN” on your application form.
- Bring some spare change to fill parking meters for downtown parking.
No. Nevada has no waiting period between obtaining a license and having a ceremony.
Is there a blood test?
No. Nevada does not require a blood test at all.
How can I save time at the Marriage Bureau?
Visit Clark County’s website, and view the Marriage License services page. Then select the Marriage License Pre-Application. Complete this form and submit. This form is saved in the Clark County system for 60 days. When you arrive at the Marriage Bureau, you can go directly to an "Express Window" to see a Clerk.
How long is my marriage license valid?
Your marriage license document is valid for one year. You must be married within one year of its issuance, and your Clark County-approved officiant must sign and submit this document to legalize the marriage.
After the wedding, is this the document I use to have my name changed?
No. You will use a certified copy of your marriage certificate, not your marriage license, to change your name legally after marriage. After the ceremony, your officiant will submit your signed marriage license to the county. Within several weeks, you’ll receive an opportunity to order certified copies of your marriage certificate.
If I have further questions, where can I find answers?
Please visit the Las Vegas Marriage Bureau website for more details and/or to submit your marriage license pre-application.
* * * *
Once you’ve completed this process and obtained your marriage license, you’ll have that final bit of wedding planning complete. Now you’re free to marry your groom officially, whether you’re having an elopement, civil ceremony, or Las Vegas wedding ceremony and reception.
Author: Allyson Siwajian
Plan Las Vegas Weddings at BridalSpectacular.com.
Read the latest related posts on our bridal blog.
You’ve answered the basic questions, agreed on your wedding budget, and the next step is to find your perfect wedding venue — which is no easy feat. From your wedding date, theme, colors, invitations and more, the majority of your decisions will ultimately hinge on your choice of wedding venue. So, we at ... [read more]
What do you get when you have a ceremony site designed exclusively for weddings, packages that are perfectly customized for each and every couple, and one of the most beautiful locations in the Las Vegas valley? You get a dream wedding at Rhodes Ranch Golf Club and ... [read more]